Constitution

I confess that I do not entirely approve of this constitution at present. But Sir, I am not sure I shall never approve it, for, having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged, by better information of fuller consideration, to change my opinions even on important subjects, which I thought right but found to be otherwise. Thus I consent, Sir to the Constitution, because I expect no better and because I am not sure that it is not the best . . . Ben Franklin.
A constitution founded on these principles introduces knowledge among the people, and inspires them with a conscious dignity becoming freemen; a general emulation takes place, which causes good humor, sociability, good manners, and good morals to be general. That elevation of sentiment inspired by such a government, makes the common people brave and enterprising. That ambition which is inspired by it makes them sober, industrious, and frugal. John Adams, Thoughts on Government, 1776.
The Constitution... is a mere thing of wax in the hands of the judiciary which they may twist and shape into any form they please. Thomas Jefferson, letter to Judge Spencer Roane, September 6, 1819.
Whatever may be the judgment pronounced on the competency of the architects of the Constitution, or whatever may be the destiny of the edifice prepared by them, I feel it a duty to express my profound and solemn conviction ... that there never was an assembly of men, charged with a great and arduous trust, who were more pure in their motives, or more exclusively or anxiously devoted to the object committed to them. James Madison, circa 1835.
THE Constitution which at any time exists, 'till changed by an explicit and authentic act of the whole People is sacredly obligatory upon all. George Washington, Farewell Address, September 19, 1796.

No comments:

Post a Comment